Thursday, May 23, 2013

Bow Down to the Queen!

Lately my skin has been acting like such a drama queen.  It seems like as soon as I decided to start a beauty blog, it decided to give me something to write about.

Yeah, my skin goes through its mood swings, especially as the seasons change, so with all the heat and humidity of the last few days, it’s no wonder that my skin has been more oily than usual and where there’s oil, you can expect a blemish to follow.

After trying to go easy on my skin with a little Benzoyl Peroxide - to no avail, I finally had to strong arm my sebaceous glands and pull out the Queen…Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask.  While I don’t use my “Hulk” mask (as my son calls it) often, it is my #1 go to breakout tamer. 

I will forever “Stan” for this classic mask.  I’ve been using it since high school and it’s the only thing that calms my skin down when it decides to throw a temper tantrum.  It is probably the first product to actually make it to “Staple Status” in my beauty arsenal.

So what does this mask do that makes me sing its praises?

The clay mask dries up acne blemishes, shrinks large pores and whisks away blackheads.  It cleans deep to get rid of breakouts fast.  Ingredients include both Kaolin and Bentonite clay.  It has a cool, minty smell and the tingle I feel when I spread it on lets me know good things are being done to my pores.

After washing my face, I spread it on, kick back and in about 30-45 minutes, I take it off.  I usually lay a warm, wet washcloth over the mask, pressing it in to infuse the heat from the cloth and to loosen up the hardened mask.  I then wipe it clean.  I follow that with a few splashes of cold water.  After patting my face dry, I sweep a cotton ball soaked in toner all over my face, then a moisturizing lotion.

I like to do this once or twice a week until my skin “bows down,” which usually takes a week or two.

Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask retails for $3.99 for an 8 oz. tube, but I like to get the Jumbo 12 oz. jar for $7.  The mask is available at Wal-Mart, Sally’s, Drugstore.com, Amazon.com and other discount beauty retailers.

No comments:

Post a Comment