Monday, May 20, 2013

Peeling So Good

At home facial peels are a great way to treat acne, clear pores, brighten a dull complexion and lighten hyperpigmentation on the skin.

As we age, our skin cell turnover slows considerably, even in our twenties.  A little nudging from a home grade peel can provide a fresh complexion at a fraction of the cost of the ones you would get at a dermatologist's or esthetician's office.  They are also lower in strength so they don't require any down time and can be used once or twice a week depending on your tolerance.

Just remember, you are essentially removing a layer of dead skin when you use any peel, leaving your skin vulnerable.  I recommend using a sunscreen (if you aren't already) when using peels.

Also, peels have acids in them -- Glycolic Acid, Alpha Hydroxy Acid, Beta Hydroxy Acid, Azelaic Acid, Fruit Acids, etc.  I do not recommend using a serum or moisturizer with these same acids in the ingredients.  I like to use a serum or moisturizer with vitamins and antioxidants after peel use.

I use them as needed, when my skin needs a little refreshing, especially as the seasons change or during the winter.  Here are some of my favorite at home peels.  At one time or another, every one of these peels has been a part of my skincare routine:

Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta Daily Peel ($15-$128) - Dr. Dennis Gross has become synonymous with the word "peel."  The Alpha Beta Daily Peel is the holy grail of at home spa-grade facial peels.  I like to use this peel on my face, my chest, the backs of my arms, anywhere I am in need of some extra exfoliation.  I highly recommend this 2-step peel.  Start with the 5 pack for $15.

Philosophy Resurface - The Microdelivery Dual Phase Peel ($69) - I love, love, love this peel!  I love the way it feels on my skin, the citrus scent, but most of all, I live the amazing things it does for my skin!  It's packed with vitamin C and peptides.  It really gives a great exfoliation so that my serums and moisturizers can really sink into my skin.  Philosophy's Microdelivery line includes other greats like the Microdelivery Mini Peel Pads ($38), Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash ($26-$60), Microdelivery Triple Acid Brightening Peel ($69) and the Microdelivery Purifying Enzyme Peel ($42).  All really good stuff!

Avon Anew Advanced Retexturizing Peel ($25) - This peel has made it to staple status in my skincare arsenal.  I love it because it is convenient, just swipe the pad all over your face, chest, hands, arms, etc.  Wait til it dries, then apply your serum or moisturizer.  I use it overnight, as I do all my peels.  I always have a jar of these in my bathroom.

Bliss That's Incredi-‘Peel’! Spa-Strength Glycolic Resurfacing Pads ($49) - Bliss knows skincare, which is why this overnight peel is so good.  If you want to shrink pores and increase skin clarity, this is the peel for you!  It is spa-grade, so I recommend that you test this product out first and do not use it more than once a week.

Origins Brighter By Nature High Potency Brightening Peel with Fruit Acids ($38.50) - This peel is loaded with goodies like Japanese basil leaf, cucumber, peony and vitamin C - but with none of the harsh chemicals that can irritate more sensitive skin.  This peel is awesome at breaking down skin discolorations to reveal a more radiant complexion.  I love that these pads are all natural and use fruit acids, especially when I am on glycolic acid overload!



No comments:

Post a Comment